2002-08-08 Dropped old Betas
Deleted obsolete kdirstat-1.8.x beta versions from this web site. I wouldn't recommend using any of them any more.
RPM for SuSE Linux 8.0: kdirstat-2.2.0-0.i386.rpm
This is really the same version as 2.1.0-beta, now declared the official
release. No code changes were made.
RPM for SuSE Linux 8.0: kdirstat-2.1.1.beta-0.i386.rpm
RPM for SuSE Linux 8.0: kdirstat-2.1.0.beta-0.i386.rpm
This is the first version for KDE 3.
There will most likely be no more development for KDE 2.
- Ported to KDE 3: Exchanged KDE build environment
Even though the code hasn't changed any, this version should be regarded as a
beta version. If no problems arise, there will be a new version with just the
version number increased to 2.2.0.
2002-03-04 RedHat RPMs
Dax Kelson from
Guru Labs kindly offered
to make KDirStat RPMs for
RedHat Linux available to the public.
You can download RPMs for RedHat 7.2 from the
Guru Labs download page.
RPM for SuSE Linux 7.3: kdirstat-2.0.1-0.i386.rpm
- Added support for large files (>2 GB)
Naive as I am, I had assumed that to work automatically for systems that
support file sizes larger than 2 GB - but obviously it doesn't. After some
autoconf tweaking, it does. Good to have some glibc hackers
around here at SuSE Labs. ;-)
RPM for SuSE Linux 7.3: kdirstat-2.0.0-0.i386.rpm
This is it: The official release of KDirStat for KDE 2.x is here.
- Completed help texts
- Added "Help" button to feedback dialog
- Added "Help" button to settings dialog
- Drastically reduced logging to stdout
From now on, the release policy will be like that of the Linux kernel:
Odd minor release numbers (2.1.x, 2.3.x, ...) are development versions,
even minor release numbers (2.2.x, 2.4.x, ...) are stable versions intended for
machines in a production environment.
2002-02-11 15:00 CET New release candidate: kdirstat-1.8.8-rc3.tgz
That's what happens when you ask people to test:
They actually do that and find bugs... ;-)
So, here is today's second version.
- Disabled cleanups that would cause a subtree to be deleted while it is
This caused a core dump. That's a typical case of "Doctor, it hurts when I
do that" - "Then don't do that!" ;-)
OK, this is the medicine to prevent that patient from doing that.
2002-02-11 13:00 CET New release candidate: kdirstat-1.8.7-rc2.tgz
Updating to this version is recommended.
Those "huge numbers" issues affect directory trees over 2 GB and non-Intel
architectures (PPC, SPARC etc.).
2002-02-05 First release candidate: kdirstat-1.8.6-rc1.tgz
- Initial version of online help texts
- Fixed URL references to point to the KDirStat home page at SourceForge
- Minor cosmetic changes
2002-02-04 Web site redesign
You might have noticed that if you have been here before.
The web site now includes some screen shots and a features section.
2002-01-28 New Beta version: kdirstat-1.8.5-beta.tgz
- Fixed update bug upon "refresh branch" and executing cleanups
- Embed cleanup %p / %n parameters in double quotes
- Added keyboard accelerators for standard cleanups
- (Partial) fix for PacMan animation display error on some KDE themes
We are approaching a release candidate.
If only I could bring myself to start writing that online help... ;-)
- that's all that's missing right now.
2002-01-21 New Beta version: kdirstat-1.8.4-beta.tgz
- Fixed repaint error in percentage bar column when scrolling
- Fixed repaint error when resizing percentage bar column
- New feature: Added feedback mail facility:
Select Send Feedback Mail in the Help menu. You will get a dialog
with questions about your opinion about this program and a free-text input
field. When done, click on Mail this..., and the resulting mail will be
presented for you to review in your mail client. When satisfied, send the mail.
2002-01-07 New Beta version: kdirstat-1.8.3-beta.tgz
Just in case you are wondering: No, you didn't miss 1.8.2-beta - I didn't have
any chance to check this version into CVS over the Christmas holidays.
All of the old KDirStat (0.86 - for KDE 1.x) features are now here again
- plus some new ones!
All that is now missing for a real release version are the help files - and of
course some thorough testing.
- Implemented cleanup actions.
- Implemented user configuration for cleanup actions.
- Implemented user configuration for tree colors.
- Lots of small fixes to better integrate with the KDE environment
(application icon, .desktop file, URL handling).
- New feature: Added simple mail to owner report facility:
Select a branch in the tree view, open directories that look like wasting a lot
of space, then select a directory one or more levels further up; upon Send
mail to owner in the Report menu you will get your favourite mail
client with a ready-to-send mail with a disk usage summary of all directories
that are currently opened in the tree view. Delete the lines you don't consider
interesting (if any) and send the mail.
2001-12-10 New Beta version: kdirstat-1.8.1-beta.tgz
- Tree colors are back again.
Well, in fact they were always there - but since there is no way yet to
customize them, they defaulted to only that blue percentage bar. I simply
changed the defaults: Now four different colors are used, one for each tree
- Internal cleanup: Selections are handled by the internal KDirTree now.
This may not sound like much, but it is a necessity for multiple views that can
synchronize their individual displays via selections: If you select an item in
the tree view, in future releases you can expect the treemap view to select
this item, too - and vice versa. So you can benefit from the best of each view
to find the information you seek.
2001-11-27 New Beta version: kdirstat-1.8.0-beta.tgz
- New feature: Refresh selected - refresh (re-read from disk) the
currently selected branch.
This is available from the File menu and from the context menu.
This may not sound too spectacular, but it requires being able to deal with
items being deleted from the internal tree, thus it required some internal
This is also a prerequisite for cleanup actions - they usually delete items,
thus KDirStat must be aware of that.
- Internal cleanup: Got rid of that statRoot() mess,
clean ??::stat() implementation for all directory readers (both local and using
2001-11-19 New CVS snapshot: kdirstat-1.7.11-devel.tgz
- Compiles and links without QTreeMap by default now
- see the build HowTo for details.
- Improved mount point handling
- Different icon
- New read status KDirOnRequestOnly
- Prepared for explicit reading of mounted file systems
- Created infrastructure for context menu in tree view
- Simple context menu (cleanup actions will follow)